“Always sewing” are two words on this blog header which I aspire to; sadly it is not happening in real life. Below I give you 10 (there are more but let 10 suffice at this time) things which cause a sort of “sewing atrophy” in myself. Morbid word – “atrophy”, but it fits what I’m writing about. Does this happen to you?
- The Never Ending Project Effect: Sometimes it’s the finishing touches that get you. The end does not seem to come fast enough. “I think I’m done! Wait, I need to sew a hook and eye above the zipper and the facing needs to be tacked down”. Darn. This is taking forever. I’ll do it another time. Into the unfinished pile it goes. Need a cup of tea.
- Fabric Selection Syndrome: In spite of the equivalent of a fabric store in your house, none of the pieces seem just right for your project. Of course you want your project to be perfect. You’re putting away the pattern until new fabric is purchased for it.
- Fear of Fabric: You have the perfect fabric and pattern for the garment you so badly want to make. But, but, but…. you’ve never sewn on this material (say, cut-velvet) before, and are afraid to cut into it. What if the project is messed up? I’ll think about it tomorrow like Scarlett, before taking scissors to cloth. Whew, need a soda after all that.
- Wardrobe Need vs Trend Temptations: The closet seems depleted of pants. Wait, sweatshirts are so on-trend. One with quilted touches is featured in fashion magazines and is so pretty. Sewer’s paralysis strikes since you are kept from sewing what you really want to sew (sweatshirt) but the pants need to get done. The sewing room is deserted yet again. You will have a pant-less season and will never get to make the trendy sweatshirt knock-off before it becomes “so last season”.
- The Need More Time Excuse: You have 15 minutes to sew a couple of seams on an ongoing project, but would really like a longer stretch of free time. What’s the point of sewing for just minutes? But I can have a doughnut in those 15 minutes.
- Cleaning Impulse: Heck, I can’t sew in this mess. I need to vacuum, dust and re-arrange my sewing stuff before taking up last week’s project again.
- The Social Media Allure: The sewing room seems so inviting, I think I’ll finish a project today – after checking my favorite sewing blog; and the Twitter feed is going crazy with sewing and fashion related tweets! I love Twitter! Oops, no time to sew today.
- The Print Media Allure: Yippee, my favorite sewing magazine arrived! I’m off to go shopping for fabric and notions today, to make that pretty bag on the cover.
- Where has the day gone?: It’s time to prepare dinner. Yawn. Too tired to have a night sewing session; besides, don’t want to wake up the family.
- Blogging Ironies: I need to work on the next post on my sewing blog; shoot pictures, edit pictures, write text, edit, format, proof, re-read, add links, upload, read again, publish and publicize. Sewing will have to go on the back burner this day. Oh, the irony…..
Anything like this happen to you? Can you add to the above list? Or is it just me…
On a happy note, I’m cutting out a sewing project as you read this!